Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The decision

I am a Canadian citizen and this is the true story of my dental travel experience in Romania (that includes traveling to Romania and extensive dental treatments including bone grafting, zirconium bridges, titanium implants and, most likely, a few...more operations.

I have never truly considered a dental travel experience until I was forced to face and make this decision, a few days ago, when my Canadian dentist told me that "things got pretty serious in your mouth"...

Having had a good Canadian dental insurance (which took care of my regular check-ups, regular cleaning sessions and a few fillings) I thought I could ignore the "bigger picture" of my dental problems, but when the sad reality of it hit me, at the last dental check-up, my dental insurance could not even cover 10% of the money I was adviced to spend on my Canadian treatment plan. And this Canadian treatment plan was not including ALL of my problems, just the most urgent ones...(the others remaining to be solved later...next year or so).


I won't even start with the stressful facts of how I got to need such an extensive restauration of my mouth but one could only imagine: young years of...pure neglect (ok, I must admit, some "neglect" was due to stress, money issues, changes that happened in my personal life...and body), then meeting and working in the past few years with a few dentists who were more interested in...bill-ing me than...giving me the best treatments, put me face to face with the BIGGEST decision I have had to make this year: an entire (and urgent!) dental restauration.

I had been a Canadian citizen for  many years but I was born in Eastern Europe ( the continent that I have left when I was very young, more than 13-14 years ago) so when I realized that I can not pay the tens of thousands of dollars my Canadian dentist asked me for, I knew that the only chance I've got is a good dental care at third-world country costs (namely: Romania), a trend that is becoming more and more popular. That is why, after carefully thinking all the details over, I have decided to look into Romanian dental clinics' treatments (and prices for dental care). 

Romania has recently become a major tourist hub of dental care and the fact that it is the country of which language I still speak, the decision came quickly.... (especially after I started writing e-mails to a few clinics from all over the country and I realized that a quality dental treatment done in Romania with, of course, the latest state of the art technology, might not be making too much of a hole in my pocket and/or on my bank account.

And this is how everything has started...

I am currently still researching Romanian dental clinics and writing e-mails, back and forth, with a few Romanian doctors interested in helping me. I have sent them all extensive details about my dental issues and every email is followed by a panoramic dental x-ray that I am attaching so the doctors could truly "see" most of my problems.

From about...39  dental clinics from Romanian cities like: Bucharest, Ploiesti and Constanta (that I chose to inquire about my problems) I narrowed my search down to about....4 and these days I must make a final decision...I am keeping in mind not only the cost (which is, indeed, one of the big concerns) but also the nature of the treatments the Romanian dentists offer because I truly need the best doctors I can...(virtually-for now) find. And yes, I must admit that I am also using my intuition too in makind this decision. My intuition never let me down in my life's decisions...